Event Club Q&A - 17th June

Remove this Banner Ad

Is that a reportable personal attack? I'm discussing the subject in a civil way.
What's personal about it? Your comments are irrational to me, there's no objectivity in any of it. Apparently the club can do nothing right and everyone should be sacked. I can't discuss the club objectively with someone who posts like you do, whether that be completely negative or completely positive. It's tiresome & boring both ways.

Lethlean - Has only been in the job 3 full seasons and made finals in that time so I don't know why he is being questioned on his ability to lead the football department. Has appointed great people to help improve the program like Roughead and Rath who is one of the best in the business. Both come from winning programs. He stuffed the Hannebery deal but aside from that I can't really see anything else he has done wrong. Think it is unfair to lump him in this. Bringing in Hunter & McKernan was never to have them play every week, it was purely depth and unfortunately injury has meant they have had to play more than they would've normally. Our 22 is very good and Lethers has helped build that, beyond that needs work but he hasn't shown that he can't do the job so I will back him in.

Ratten - Our biggest issue. I've talked about him at length so not getting into it again, but the players inconsistencies and lack of effort falls mostly on his inability to coach that into them. The other part of that is the players and they have to take some responsibility but Ratten is the head coach and ultimately that responsibility is his. Not to mention he is incredibly poor defensively and our lack of leadership is an issue that he has needed to address but hasn't done enough.

So because Lethlean has only been there for 3 seasons, he stays. But Ratten being there for the same amount of time, with 1 year being assistant?

If Ratts goes. So does Lethlean and Finnis. IMO.

He is the CEO. Prior to Lethers change in job title - they all fell under his umbrella.

You can’t just sit there and say he had no bearing on it.

As per your previous post, I also didn’t say Arden street was any better worse or indifferent to Moorabbins redevelopment. But they and the dogs are comparable to us unfortunately and whilst Moorabbin is better (commenting now) the same redevelopment did occur with less resources and they have gotten themselves financially stable. Which we aren’t. Both those clubs are also Marvel members and had a poor deal too.

I might think Finnis has done a poor job - but I also gave him credit for his part in Moorabbin, membership and sponsorship. However I also am not naive to absolve him of the Football department of which he was ENTIRELY responsible before Lethers promotion. Which by the way, came about from the board under the new president and not the old regime.

So clearly they identified an issue here too.

So you are right that Finnis my be better then his predecessors, but he hasn’t gotten this club performing to the level of those clubs around us. Whether that’s financially like the Roos or both on and off field like the dogs.
We aren't financially stable if we can't facilitate the debt, lol.

Again, Finnis is not part of the football department. If you want to say that because he is in a higher position then just say the whole board & president should be sacked then because they oversee Finnis. It's just stupid.

Yes he is. The issues you bring up are football department related. Finnis is not part of the football department. All decisions are ratified by the board.
who was the football boss before Lethlean came on board? Why did Richo get so long?
I know how CEOs and boards work from major regional hospitals to state-run departments. I think we have been poor in the second and lacking in areas in the first(CEO)

I'm more than happy to give Finnis all the praise for all the thing you've mentioned, but the footy Dept comes under his control because he's the one guy at the top that
a) presents to the board
B) does the work set out by the board
and we've been abysmally led in the footy dept area.

So because Lethlean has only been there for 3 seasons, he stays. But Ratten being there for the same amount of time, with 1 year being assistant?

Yes, that's exactly right. You'd only question what I said if you think they have exactly the same role, lol.

Lethlean's job is to improve the list which he has done. Our list in 2021 compared to 2018 is far better. He is doing his job.

Ratten's job is to coach the side to be successful. To get the most out of the players. Even if we ignore the failures he had at Carlton, it's clear he isn't getting the most out of this playing group and players have started to regress under his coaching. He has already had a go at senior coaching, he should rightfully be on a shorter leash than if he was new to the role.

If Ratts goes that's solely on Ratts' inability to get the most out of the list. If Lethers goes that's solely on Lethers inability to improve the quality of the list. If Finnis' goes that's solely on Finnis' inability to improve the commercial aspect and off field sustainability of the club.

They all don't play the same role so I don't know how you can sack them all at once. If that were the case we would've done it already when we let Richardson go.

Tony74 posted on Monday on Saintsational "Well something has to give. I think you’ll find two of the assistants will be shown the door during the bye week with a couple more later in the year."

He also added that only two of our coaches are contracted for next year so no soft cap penalties.

Our current assistant coaches are Lade, Hamill, Skobalak, McGlynn, Batchelor and Roughead.

Lade seems to be highly rated and Batchelor and Roughead were appointed by Lethlean so you would have to think he is probably talking about Hamill, Skrobalak or McGlynn.

Danny Sexton is the Head of Football Operations iirc so I imagine he could be in the hot seat as well.

You would think that we would hear in the next 5 days.

who was the football boss before Lethlean came on board? Why did Richo get so long?
I know how CEOs and boards work from major regional hospitals to state-run departments. I think we have been poor in the second and lacking in areas in the first(CEO)

I'm more than happy to give Finnis all the praise for all the thing you've mentioned, but the footy Dept comes under his control because he's the one guy at the top that
a) presents to the board
B) does the work set out by the board
and we've been abysmally led in the footy dept area.
Sack the board & president as well then

Tony74 posted on Monday on Saintsational "Well something has to give. I think you’ll find two of the assistants will be shown the door during the bye week with a couple more later in the year."

Our current assistant coaches are Lade, Hamill, Skobalak, McGlynn, Batchelor and Roughead.

Lade seems to be highly rated and Batchelor and Roughead were appointed by Lethlean so you would have to think he is probably talking about Hamill, Skrobalak or McGlynn.

Danny Sexton is the Head of Football Operations iirc so I imagine he could be in the hot seat as well.
Sexton folds the players shirts before matchday and cuts the oranges. His role is very minimal.

We aren't financially stable if we can't facilitate the debt, lol.

Again, Finnis is not part of the football department. If you want to say that because he is in a higher position then just say the whole board & president should be sacked then because they oversee Finnis. It's just stupid.
Err what are you talking about?

I’m clearly saying we aren’t in a good enough place financially with Finnis as CEO.

Not sure if you have a great understanding about corporate structure. However being the CEO, means he is accountable to the board. However everyone else including coach are accountable to the CEO and that is the structure we have used up until Lethers promotion, which you could still argue he reports to Finnis - hence he wants the god damn job.

That means the football department and the results.

I think the coach is more important, we need wins. You could move Lethlean on tomorrow and it would have no negative impact on the club whatsoever. Getting rid of the coach now would only confirm what the football world especially members and supporters think of St Kilda at the minute.

Err what are you talking about?

I’m clearly saying we aren’t in a good enough place financially with Finnis as CEO.

Not sure if you have a great understanding about corporate structure. However being the CEO, means he is accountable to the board. However everyone else including coach are accountable to the CEO and that is the structure we have used up until Lethers promotion, which you could still argue he reports to Finnis - hence he wants the god damn job.

That means the football department and the results.
Yeah I know what you are saying and I am telling you that you are wilfully ignoring factors as to why we are where we're at financially. You are being deliberately disingenuous to make your point. You are just saying we're in a bad spot financially with no context.

I know how the club operates.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LOL, he has been there a long time and I still dont know what his role entails but he is in the camera frame 90% of the time.
He should probably go. Although his role is minimal we don't need him I reckon. Surely the players can fold their own shirts and pack their gear for interstate trips properly.

I think the coach is more important, we need wins. You could move Lethlean on tomorrow and it would have no negative impact on the club whatsoever. Getting rid of the coach now would only confirm what the football world especially members and supporters think of St Kilda at the minute.

Bet there are a number of Dee's supporters out there that are quite happy they didn't get rid of Simon Goodwin. Before this year
4 Years as head coach
1 finals appearance.

Yeah I know what you are saying and I am telling you that you are wilfully ignoring factors as to why we are where we're at financially. You are being deliberately disingenuous to make your point. You are just saying we're in a bad spot financially with no context.

I know how the club operates.
If you know how it operates then you wouldn’t absolve Finnis for the s**t show with the footballing side of things.

I gave him credit. But I’m not giving him passing marks when his peers and our competitors in the industry have left us for dust.

You can say it’s because we are back at a shiny new Moorabbin. That’s fine.

But for all the improvements he has made. The club hasn’t vaulted forwards across all fronts like others who are traditionally similar to us. His 7 years has improved us but not enough to survive this review if we are serious about becoming an elite club.

If you know how it operates then you wouldn’t absolve Finnis for the sh*t show with the footballing side of things.

I gave him credit. But I’m not giving him passing marks when his peers and our competitors in the industry have left us for dust.

You can say it’s because we are back at a shiny new Moorabbin. That’s fine.

But for all the improvements he has made. The club hasn’t vaulted forwards across all fronts like others who are traditionally similar to us. His 7 years has improved us but not enough to survive this review if we are serious about becoming an elite club.
Haha and if you knew how it operates you wouldn't gloss over the commercial aspect of what Finnis has done for our football club, or think he didn't play a major part in the redevelopment of Moorabbin, or ignore factors relating to why we are in the financial position we're in.

Fact of the matter is our players are underperforming and we have a very long injury list of key players. We've seen what we can do at our best with this list which is win a final. We need to recruit better depth and move players on that are not up to standard, as every club aims to do every year. The rest is way too much hysteria for me. Finnis isn't going anywhere because of a club review. We will clean out the assistants and maybe a board member or two will move on but that will be it because for all the s**t the playing group have put out this year we did finish 5th last year so I'm sure people in positions at the club with less subjectivity than you or I will make calculated decisions to move this club forward and I really, really doubt that Matt Finnis is one of them.

Q:
Why do we draft soft non flag flying non bleed for the jumper too busy worried about what their hair looks like while sipping lattes on sunday evening type players?
Because we can’t handle bad boy alpha types. I, for one, am glad we skipped over Dustin Martin and Ben Cousins when they were available.

Given the creased state of our guernseys in promo photo shoots and even on game day, he should be sacked for incompetence lol.
Poor Paddy Ryder has picked his up from a Balinese flea market

So we have a whole team that is mentally weak? These guys that are employed to help guide them shouldn't be questioned? I assume the answer to that is run a broom through the playing group then and sack the recruiting and list management staff? I hope they review every one. I have friends that have PhDs that are ******* incompetent and I wouldn't pay them to put up a tent. Getting a doctorate is more about being a mental endurance athlete than a genius.

As someone with a PhD I strongly endorse this message

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yes, that's exactly right. You'd only question what I said if you think they have exactly the same role, lol.

Lethlean's job is to improve the list which he has done. Our list in 2021 compared to 2018 is far better. He is doing his job.

Ratten's job is to coach the side to be successful. To get the most out of the players. Even if we ignore the failures he had at Carlton, it's clear he isn't getting the most out of this playing group and players have started to regress under his coaching. He has already had a go at senior coaching, he should rightfully be on a shorter leash than if he was new to the role.

If Ratts goes that's solely on Ratts' inability to get the most out of the list. If Lethers goes that's solely on Lethers inability to improve the quality of the list. If Finnis' goes that's solely on Finnis' inability to improve the commercial aspect and off field sustainability of the club.

They all don't play the same role so I don't know how you can sack them all at once. If that were the case we would've done it already when we let Richardson go.
Lethers job isn’t list management.

He is the COO and with our split since his promotion to that role, effectively he runs the football department.

His mandate is to operate and ensure that a high performance program capable of winning a premiership is in place.

He has 3 key members as part of his program.
James Gallagher who is in charge of list management and is supported by Libba and co and Gubby who deals with recruiting players already within the industry.

David Rath as director of football. Who’s job is to identify strategy and trends and work with Ratten and Lethers in implementing that desired football program both onfield and off field at Moorabbin . He is supported by Darren o'shaughnessy as the senior analyst.

Then you have Ratten to lead, coach and develop the list supported by his assistants.

That is literally the responsibility of anyone related to the footy department.

If Lethers goes, it’s because his football department has failed. Not because he hasn’t recruited the greatest list. The players are almost binary and it’s the development of them that’s most important.

Ratten goes because we believe he failed in developing and coaching them to their potential which means more losses then wins.

Lethers job isn’t list management.

He is the COO and with our split since his promotion to that role, effectively he runs the football department.

His mandate is to operate and ensure that a high performance program capable of winning a premiership is in place.

He has 3 key members as part of his program.
James Gallagher who is in charge of list management and is supported by Libba and co and Gubby who deals with recruiting players already within the industry.

David Rath as director of football. Who’s job is to identify strategy and trends and work with Ratten and Lethers in implementing that desired football program both onfield and off field at Moorabbin . He is supported by Darren o'shaughnessy as the senior analyst.

Then you have Ratten to lead, coach and develop the list supported by his assistants.

That is literally the responsibility of anyone related to the footy department.

If Lethers goes, it’s because his football department has failed. Not because he hasn’t recruited the greatest list. The players are almost binary and it’s the development of them that’s most important.

Ratten goes because we believe he failed in developing and coaching them to their potential which means more losses then wins.
Thank you for telling me what I already know.

Lethers oversees the football deparment so ultimately the improvement of the list falls on Lethers, similar to how you said the success of the football department falls on Finnis.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back